Australia Migration, Immigration Australia, Migrating to Australia
19th July 2008 about | WA Tourist Info | copyright | contact us | privacy policy | terms | sitemap |
Migration Institute of Australia Member
Registration Number 1971 and 2748
Registered to Provide Migration Advice
MARN numbers:
0208366, 0426675, 0641256, 0742456 and 0640237
More info about Immigration Australia, Visa Australia
Need more information, advice or assistance?

Get near instant results in your own personalised clients area. Your own dedicated migration consultant will be online to guide, assist and respond to all your questions

1. Register Online
2. Activate your account
3. Submit your information for a FREE visa appraisal or 4. Submit your data for a detailed Migration Assessment or 5. Use eConsult for fast, detailed replies to all your questions.

CBCIS - pilots

Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Aircraft Pilots

Information for Pilots regarding visas and immigration to Australia.

Obtaining a visa to reside permanently in Australia made easy.

On this page you will find all forms and information documents pertaining to Pilots. All documents are listed under "Downloads," top right corner of this page.

All people intending to migrate to Australia through the General Skilled Migration Program must have post secondary qualifications that are relevant for a nominated skilled occupation.  These occupations are identified by the Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs and appear on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL).  An occupation is included if there is sufficient demand for such skills in Australia. 

Applicants whose occupation is on the SOL must have their skills assessed by the relevant Australian assessing authority prior to applying for migration.  The exclusion of an occupation from the list means that a person cannot apply under this migration program. 

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CBCIS) is the assessing body for professional aircraft pilots, ASCO Code 2541-11.  If this is your nominated occupation and you wish to migrate to Australia under the General Skilled Migration Program, you must complete a form and obtain an assessment from CBCIS. 

It should be noted that skills assessments have no bearing on your prospects for employment, nor on the likelihood of you obtaining the Australian licence or achieving residency status.  The assessment merely confirms whether the qualifications presented are suitable or unsuitable for the occupation nominated.   To convert to the Australian licence, you will be required to pass various examinations to determine your level of skill, knowledge and medical fitness.   Whilst medical examinations can be completed outside Australia with approved examiners, the remaining  examinations can only be conducted in Australia. 

You will therefore need to apply for a   temporary visa to enable you to travel to Australia, complete the conversion requirements and obtain the licence before submitting a formal application for migration.  A  three month visa is usually   sufficient and allows for familiarisation and conversion training as well as contingencies such as bad weather, aircraft unserviceability and  additional exam attempts should you fail the first time around. 

Suitable Qualifications

The term aircraft pilot embraces  commercial pilot licences (CPL) and air transport pilot licences (ATPL).  To be recognised, the licence must have been issued by the responsible authority of a Contracting State which is an ICAO signatory and award privileges that equate to that of an Australian licence.   An overseas pilot licence may be deemed equivalent to an Australian  ATPL or CPL if it authorises the holder to fly aircraft as pilot in command in air transport operations or commercial operations respectively.

Pilot licences issued by non-Contracting States cannot be recognised under Australian aviation legislation.  Similarly,  tertiary qualifications or aviation related experience cannot be accepted in lieu of a CPL or ATPL. 

Documents You Must Include with your application

You must provide certified true copies of your pilot licence, medical certificate and flight radiotelephone operator licence (if separate) for the assessment.  Original documents must be presented to CBCIS together with your log book(s) either prior to or at the time of issue of the pilot licence.  

If the documents are not in English, a certified translation must also be provided.  The translation must be compiled by an registered translator.  Ask us if you are unsure of who to see.  If the translation is to be made in Australia, we will provide you with contact detail of the Australian National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).  

Documents You May Choose To Include

You may choose to submit evidence that you hold or have successfully completed training for particular aircraft type ratings.  For aeroplanes that have a maximum take-off weight equaling or greater than 5700kg or helicopters greater than 2750kg, this evidence should include a copy of the training syllabus and ground engineering certificate. 


Like other Government Agencies, CBCIS must abide by Australian privacy legislation which prohibits the release of any information the Authority has regarding your qualifications or on the specifics of your application unless authorised to do so.  For this reason, CBCIS normally deals direct with the applicants seeking assessment.  

If you wish for a family member or a migration agent to act as a go-between, you must nominate that person by name either in the application form or in a letter of authorisation.  This will allow CBCIS to discuss your application with the party you nominate.  


It is essential that copies of documents are certified.  Within Australia, persons who may certify flight crew documentation include Justices of the Peace, Commissioners of Affidavits or persons holding delegations under the Australian Civil Aviation Regulations.  You should approach the authorities within your country that are approved or authorised to notarise documents.

Each copy of the document must be signed separately with the words �certified true copy of the original� and the signature of the certifying officer clearly shown.  The office and registration number (if applicable) of the certifying officer should be legibly printed below the signature.

English Language Requirements

As part of the migration process you are awarded points on English language ability. You may need to sit an IELTS test to demonstrate this ability.   While CBCIS does not impose a further occupational English test, during conversion training, you will be assessed on your ability to communicate effectively with air traffic control and other aircraft using standard aeronautical phraseology in both normal and emergency flight conditions.  

Time-frame for Assessments

Applications for assessments are usually processed within two to three weeks of receipt, although this can vary according to demand and other work priorities.



Forgotten Password