Australia Migration, Immigration Australia, Migrating to Australia
19th July 2008 about | WA Tourist Info | copyright | contact us | privacy policy | terms | sitemap |
Migration Institute of Australia Member
Registration Number 1971 and 2748
Registered to Provide Migration Advice
MARN numbers:
0208366, 0426675, 0641256, 0742456 and 0640237
More info about Immigration Australia, Visa Australia
Need more information, advice or assistance?

Get near instant results in your own personalised clients area. Your own dedicated migration consultant will be online to guide, assist and respond to all your questions

1. Register Online
2. Activate your account
3. Submit your information for a FREE visa appraisal or 4. Submit your data for a detailed Migration Assessment or 5. Use eConsult for fast, detailed replies to all your questions.

Interdependency Visas

The interdependency visa caters for same sex couples and interdependent partners

Interdependent relationships include, but are not restricted to, same sex couples.

The basic application criteria and procedures are the same as for the spouse visa ie.

  • initial temporary visa is granted if the basic criteria are satisfied followed by
  • a permanent residence visa two years after taking up residence in Australia on the TR visa if the relationship is assessed as genuine and on-going.

You may apply for this visa in Australia (onshore or residence application) if you hold an eligible visa, or offshore (migrant application).

The applicants need to evidence that they have been in a long term relationship (12+ months), and have to provide substantial supporting evidence with their application.

Who can apply?

Applicants for an interdependent partner visa must be in an interdependent relationship with their sponsor. The sponsor must be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

Interdependent relationships include, but are not restricted to, same sex couples.

Visa requirements

Genuine relationship requirement -
You must be able to prove:

  • you and your partner have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of any spouse or any other interdependent relationships;

  • your relationship is genuine and continuing;

  • you and your partner live together, or don't live separately and apart on a permanent basis; and

  • you and your partner have been in an interdependent relationship for a period of 12 months immediately preceding the date of application, unless there are compelling or compassionate circumstances. These include where applicants can establish that cohabitation was not legally permitted in the country in which they had lived during the 12 months.

Age requirement
Both you and your partner must have turned 18 when you apply.

Application process

People applying in or outside Australia under the interdependent partner category go through a two-stage process. The process involves applying for a temporary visa and a permanent visa on one application form.

The first stage of the process involves the consideration of the temporary visa application. The second stage of the process involves consideration of the permanent visa application.

Stage 1 - Interdependency temporary visa -
This stage involves assessment of your eligibility for a temporary visa based on your application.

You and your partner may be asked to attend an interview to enable the Department to further assess your application. You will also be asked to undergo a medical examination and provide character clearances.

If you successfully complete the first stage of processing, you will be granted a temporary visa which will be in effect until a decision is made on your application for the permanent visa, or that application is withdrawn.

Stage 2 - Interdependency permanent visa -
This stage of processing will begin approximately two years after you lodged your visa application and involves assessment of your eligibility for a permanent visa.

If you have been in the relationship with your partner for five years or more at the time of application, there are provisions to waive the two-year wait period.

You will be required to provide evidence that the relationship between you and your partner is genuine and continuing. If you have lived in Australia for more than one year you will be required to provide an Australian police clearance. You and your partner may be asked to attend an interview.

If you meet all the requirements you will be granted a permanent visa.

Register now for detailed advice on your options for the interdependency visa



Forgotten Password