Australia Migration, Immigration Australia, Migrating to Australia
19th July 2008 about | WA Tourist Info | copyright | contact us | privacy policy | terms | sitemap |
Migration Institute of Australia Member
Registration Number 1971 and 2748
Registered to Provide Migration Advice
MARN numbers:
0208366, 0426675, 0641256, 0742456 and 0640237
More info about Immigration Australia, Visa Australia
Need more information, advice or assistance?

Get near instant results in your own personalised clients area. Your own dedicated migration consultant will be online to guide, assist and respond to all your questions

1. Register Online
2. Activate your account
3. Submit your information for a FREE visa appraisal or 4. Submit your data for a detailed Migration Assessment or 5. Use eConsult for fast, detailed replies to all your questions.

Migration FAQ's

Immigration questions, Frequently asked questions and answers

Frequently Asked Questions

Australian Immigration usually involves many questions. Read about common questions & answers covering Australia's immigration and Australian Migration here.

A couple of FAQ's are covered here. Look under RELATED ITEMS (right) for more FAQ's. If your questions are not listed here, it may well be answered in the site under the relevant heading, or you are welcome to contact us for further details.

How soon can I get in ?

  • All depends under which type of visa you are applying for migration. Nobody gets a visa overnight - these things invariably takes time. Each application is unique and a time estimate can only be determined once an BCIS Consultant has done a personal assessment. Also have a look at the average processing times.

What about qualifications ?

  • A formal tertiary qualification will definitely aid you if you are under 45. 

Does age matter ?

  • Yes, but a lot depends on personal circumstances and the type of visa you apply under.

What about my children ?

  • If they are still under your roof and dependent on you, they will be included on your visa. Married / Independent children will not qualify under your visa.

Can I bring my pets with ?

  • Yes, but it is very expensive. It requires extended periods of quarantine abroad and proves to be very traumatic for animals. Most people prefer to consider alternative arrangements like foster homes etc.  Read more about importing your pets here.

I'm a good sportsman. Can I apply for a visa on grounds of this ?

  • If you have a Distinguished Talent and you have an exceptional or outstanding record of achievement in the arts or sport you may apply under this sub class. You must be nominated by an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, an eligible New Zealand citizen or an Australian organisation of national reputation in the occupation, profession, or activity in which you have an outstanding talent. Your nominator should complete an application form and include a brief resume of their own standing in the field.

What about health? 

What about my furniture?

I am already in Australia. Can you give me advice concerning my visa ?

Yes! If you are in Australia, we can advise you on any migration issue, including helping you to:

  • Extend your current visa
  • Apply for a different visa
  • Become a Permanent Resident of Australia
  • Become an Australian Citizen
  • Communicate with the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs
  • Deal with the cancellation of your visa
  • Appeal against a Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs decision

Where can I get some advice about visiting Australia ? 

  • Right here. There are over 100 different types of Australian visas. 
  • The Australian Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs is the Australian government department responsible for issuing visas.  The Department takes into account any factors before granting a visa. 
  • Staff at BCIS CONSULTANTS can advise you on: 
    • How to apply for travel to Australia
    • Which visa type to apply for
    • What to do if you have a problem with your current visa
    • How to change your visa
    • How to extend your visa
    • Any other issue related to migrating to Australia.
  • If you want some further general information on the issue involved, select one or more of the options from the Services sub menu on the left hand side of this page.
  • For further advice on these issues please complete the request form or contact us by e-mail, mail or telephone.

May I work in Australia ?

  • If you want to work in Australia, it is important that the visa you are issued allows you to do so. Certain types of visas do not permit you to work in Australia. Some visas restrict the number of hours you can work per week.
  • If you want to work in Australia, it is important that you apply for the correct visa type. We can advise you on the best visa to apply for to suit your circumstances.
  • If you would like to know more about working in Australia, please complete the request form or contact us by e-mail, mail or telephone.

May I study in Australia ?

  • Australia has an excellent education system. There are a variety of courses suitable for all levels of education, for all ages. People from outside Australia can travel to Australia to complete accredited courses. 
  • There are a number of visas which allow people to study in Australia. It is important that you choose the most suitable visa. If you would like to know more about studying in Australia, please complete the request form or contact us by e-mail, mail or telephone.  You can also read more about student visas here.

How do I become an Australian Citizen ? 

  • The Australian Citizenship Act 1948 provides the information regarding the acquisition of Australian citizenship. There are a number of factors which the Australian Government considers before granting Australian Citizenship. 
  • If you would like to know more about becoming an Australian Citizen, please complete the request form or contact us by e-mail, mail or telephone. You can also read this section.

How long will it take to process my migration application?

  • This all depends on the specific visa class and subclass. We will detail this in your assessment report.

Who can we include in a migration application?

Can I visit Australia while my migration application is being processed?

  • Yes. But��
    You will need to meet the requirements for that class of visa, which may include the requirement that you only intend a holiday or short visit. Visitors visas are not intended to provide residence in Australia for migration applicants awaiting the outcome of their application.
    �and you must inform us if you are temporarily in Australia as we can continue your processing whilst you are there.

Can I be granted my migrant visa while I am in Australia?

  • No. You must be outside Australia before we can grant you the migrant visa. You must depart Australia for your visa to be granted and evidenced in your passport. You do not need to return to the country where the application was lodged as this can be done at any Australia overseas mission.

Can I do my medical processing in Australia?

  • Yes. If you are in Australia temporarily you can approach an office of the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs to collect the medical forms (Form 26 and Form 160) and details on approved doctors and radiologists. You should sent your sealed medical results, marked with your file reference, to this office or to DIAC directly when completed.

Do I have to send original documents with my application?

  • Yes. Generally for permanent migration applications original documentation is required.

Do I have to lodge my passport with my application?

  • Passports are NOT required to make a valid application. However, for all temporary residence visa applications (except Retirement visa applications) you should provide your passport with 2 unused visa pages with your application.

    If you think that you will need your passport during this time, DO NOT send it with your application. We deal with a large number of visa applications and can not guarantee that we will be able to return your passport to you when you need it.

I am applying under the partner provisions do you need to interview me and my partner/sponsor?

  • In most cases we may need to interview you, but this will usually be over the telephone. We will contact you if we need to arrange an interview.

Does my sponsor (i.e. spouse or partner) have to remain in the country of residence during processing?

  • No.

If I am approved, how long do I have before I must travel to Australia?

  • The initial entry date (stated on your visa) is the date by which you must travel to Australia on your visa. This date is calculated based on the validity of your health and character clearances. These clearances are usually only valid for 12 months.
    If you (and any members of your family included in your application) do not enter Australia by the initial entry date, you will breached a condition of your visa and consideration will be given to canceling your visa.

I know I need to travel to Australia before the initial entry date on my visa but am I required to migrate to Australia before this date as I have a home to sell and/or other assets to dispose of?

  • You must travel to Australia before the expiry of the initial entry date in order to activate the visa for its full term which, in most cases, is a full term of five years (the date is on the visa label).
    Migrant visa holders are not required to migrate (i.e. settle permanently) to Australia before the expiry of the initial entry date on their visas.
    Provided you (and all family members included in your application) have made at least one trip to Australia before the initial entry date your visa is then valid for return travel until the final expiry date.
    There are exceptions to this general rule. For example, Spouse - Provisional visas (subclass 309) and Prospective Spouse visas (subclass 300) both have initial entry dates but neither is valid for a full term of five years.



Forgotten Password