Australia Migration, Immigration Australia, Migrating to Australia
20th July 2008 about | WA Tourist Info | copyright | contact us | privacy policy | terms | sitemap |
Migration Institute of Australia Member
Registration Number 1971 and 2748
Registered to Provide Migration Advice
MARN numbers:
0208366, 0426675, 0641256, 0742456 and 0640237
More info about Immigration Australia, Visa Australia
Need more information, advice or assistance?

Get near instant results in your own personalised clients area. Your own dedicated migration consultant will be online to guide, assist and respond to all your questions

1. Register Online
2. Activate your account
3. Submit your information for a FREE visa appraisal or 4. Submit your data for a detailed Migration Assessment or 5. Use eConsult for fast, detailed replies to all your questions.

Opening a Bank Account in Australia

Opening a Bank account in Australia -

The 100 Point System

If you want to open a bank or credit union account in Australia, you need to pass the '100 point' system to prove your identification.

  • Birth Certificate
    Citizenship Certificate

70 points

You can only get points for one item in this section

  • Drivers Licence (full / probationary / learner)
    Shooters Licence
    Public Service Employee ID card
    Commonwealth or State Government financial entitlement card (eg Pension card)

40 points

These cards must have a photograph or signature

  • Land Rates

35 points

Applies to home buyers or owners only

  • Any card on which your name appears:
    Medicare card
    Credit Card (only 1 per institution)
    Store Account card
    Video Store Card
    Library Card
    Union Card

25 points


  • Documents on which your name and address appear:
    Car registration
    Utility bill
    Rental receipts
    Records of another financial institution showing you've been a member for 12 months or more

25 points


Some points to note:

  • This system, while mechanistic, is arguably better than the identification system prevailing in the UK which seems to depend on the whim of a bank official.
  • There is no reason why a foreign birth certificate, passport, naturalisation certificate or driving licence shouldn't be accepted, but you will have to ask (and maybe ask to see a manager if necessary)
  • If you open an account within 6 weeks to 3 months (depending on the institution) of arriving to live in Australia, you will need only your passport. This concession only applies to banks, from what I've been told, not credit unions.





Forgotten Password