Australia Migration, Immigration Australia, Migrating to Australia
20th July 2008 about | WA Tourist Info | copyright | contact us | privacy policy | terms | sitemap |
Migration Institute of Australia Member
Registration Number 1971 and 2748
Registered to Provide Migration Advice
MARN numbers:
0208366, 0426675, 0641256, 0742456 and 0640237
More info about Immigration Australia, Visa Australia
Need more information, advice or assistance?

Get near instant results in your own personalised clients area. Your own dedicated migration consultant will be online to guide, assist and respond to all your questions

1. Register Online
2. Activate your account
3. Submit your information for a FREE visa appraisal or 4. Submit your data for a detailed Migration Assessment or 5. Use eConsult for fast, detailed replies to all your questions.

Other taxes e.g. Capital Gains


Capital Gains tax

This is never a straightforward issue and you should get the advice of a registered tax agent.

Capital gains tax accrues where an asset, acquired on or after September 20th 1985, is sold. In some circumstances the gain on the sale, i.e. the difference between the purchase and sale price, is subject to tax. It does not include a family residence used as a sole or principal dwelling.

Pay As You Go (P.A.Y.G)

People are affected by the new PAYG system if they're in business or they pay provisional tax. The PAYG system began on 1st July 2000, and for most businesses it means one set of rules, one set of payment dates and one form to fill in.

PAYG allows businesses and investors to pay instalments based on their actual income after they've earned it, instead of paying based on their tax position for the previous income year.

The new PAYG system replaces 11 existing reporting and payment systems, including provisional tax, Pay As You Earn (PAYE, or group tax) Prescribed Payments System, and the Company Instalments System (COIN).

The ATO mailed two booklets, the Guide to Pay As You Go for Business and the Guide to PAYG for Individuals With Investment Income, to businesses and individual taxpayers who previously paid provisional tax. If you want a copy of these booklets get in touch with the ATO 13 61 40.

Fringe benefits tax

A fringe benefit is a benefit attached to a job that, although not paid in cash, is in effect worth a sum of money. These include:

  • interest-free loans;
  • private school fees;
  • free or subsidised accommodation;
  • motor vehicles that are available to be used in the employee's private life;
  • membership of clubs e.g. a golf club.

These benefits, although they are not a component of the employees pay packet, are in fact subject to tax. But unlike the PAYE, the tax is payable by the employer. Of course the employee regards the benefit as part of their salary package.

Payroll tax

State governments apply this tax to wages that are paid by employers. Generally there are exemptions available for benevolent and similar groups.

Stamp duty

Most people only become aware of this tax when they purchase a property, however it is levied on many financial transactions. For instance, it can be levied on transfers of shares, leases and mortgages.


A GST rate of 10% is now charged on most goods and services consumed in Australia. The GST applies to most businesses. Businesses who are registered must include GST in the price they charge their customers for goods and services. Businesses are able to claim a credit for the GST they have already paid on their business expenses and other inputs - these are called "GST credits".

GST free goods include:

  • medical and other health services, hospital services, residential or community care and medical aids;
  • child care services registered under the Childcare Rebate, eligible child care centres or other child care services;
  • religious services;
  • non-commercial activities of charitable institutions;
  • water and sewerage goods and services;
  • education courses, course materials, student accommodation;
  • duty free goods bought by travellers.




Forgotten Password