Australia Migration, Immigration Australia, Migrating to Australia
19th July 2008 about | WA Tourist Info | copyright | contact us | privacy policy | terms | sitemap |
Migration Institute of Australia Member
Registration Number 1971 and 2748
Registered to Provide Migration Advice
MARN numbers:
0208366, 0426675, 0641256, 0742456 and 0640237
More info about Immigration Australia, Visa Australia
Need more information, advice or assistance?

Get near instant results in your own personalised clients area. Your own dedicated migration consultant will be online to guide, assist and respond to all your questions

1. Register Online
2. Activate your account
3. Submit your information for a FREE visa appraisal or 4. Submit your data for a detailed Migration Assessment or 5. Use eConsult for fast, detailed replies to all your questions.

Student Guardian Visas

The Student Guardian Visa

From the 1st of January 2004, a legal custodian or relative may apply to accompany you as a student guardian if you are under 18 years of age. This may be a  physical or cultural need for an adult companion to accompany a student to Australia.

Who will qualify as  a student guardian?

A student guardian must:

    * be a relative of the applicant
    * be over 21 years of age and of good character, and
    * meet health and financial requirements.

Except in exceptional circumstances, your student guardian must be related to you (the applicant) in one or more of the following ways:

    * spouse
    * child
    * adopted child
    * parent
    * brother or sister
    * step-child
    * step-parent
    * step-brother or step-sister
    * grandparent
    * grandchild
    * aunt or uncle
    * niece or nephew
    * step-grandparent
    * step-grandchild
    * step-aunt or step-uncle
    * step-niece or step-nephew.

Student guardians must meet the basic crieria of health, character, health insurance, debts to the Commonwealth of Australia, custody arrangements, accommodation and general welfare, if you are under 18 years of age.

They must also meet all financial requirements for students:  They will need to show that they have enough money to pay for living expenses, education costs and travel for the duration of the course. They will also need to show that they have enough money for themselves, their spouse and all of their children aged under 18 years, whether or not they will be coming to Australia with them.   

In addition:

    * Student guardians will not be able to bring their family members to Australia as dependants.
    * A person who has any dependent children under 6 years of age will not be able to act as a Student Guardian.
    * If you intend to be the student guardian of more than one student while in Australia, you must notify the department (when you apply) which student you would like your visa linked to.

Conditions applying to Student Guardian visas

The following list describes the conditions that will generally be attached to your student guardian visa.

    * You must not work.
    * You must not study for more than three months.
    * You must maintain your approved overseas visitor health cover.
    * You cannot apply for any other Australian visa while in Australia except for:
    * an extension of your student guardian visa, or
    * to engage Australia's obligations under the 1951 UN convention relating to the status of refugees.
    * You must continue to meet the requirements for a student guardian visa.
    * You must live with the student who has nominated you and, if the student is under 18 years of age, provide appropriate accommodation, welfare and general support.
    * You must not leave Australia without either:
    * taking the nominating student with you, or
    * notifying the department before your departure that you have made appropriate arrangements for the student’s accommodation, welfare and general support in your absence and (if the student is under 18 years of age) obtaining written approval for the changed arrangements from the student’s education provider.



Forgotten Password