Australia Migration, Immigration Australia, Migrating to Australia
20th July 2008 about | WA Tourist Info | copyright | contact us | privacy policy | terms | sitemap |
Migration Institute of Australia Member
Registration Number 1971 and 2748
Registered to Provide Migration Advice
MARN numbers:
0208366, 0426675, 0641256, 0742456 and 0640237
More info about Immigration Australia, Visa Australia
Need more information, advice or assistance?

Get near instant results in your own personalised clients area. Your own dedicated migration consultant will be online to guide, assist and respond to all your questions

1. Register Online
2. Activate your account
3. Submit your information for a FREE visa appraisal or 4. Submit your data for a detailed Migration Assessment or 5. Use eConsult for fast, detailed replies to all your questions.

Working Holiday Visa

The Working Holiday Maker visa

The working holiday program allows working holiday makers to have an extended holiday in Australia by supplementing their travel funds through incidental employment, and to experience closer contact with a local community.

The working holiday visa allows the holder to:

         If you are granted this visa you can:

    • enter Australia within 12 months of grant
    • stay up to 12 months
    • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid
    • work in Australia for up to 6 months with each employer
    • study for up to 4 months.


Note also that if a holder of a 417 visa leaves Australia during the 12 month period for any reason the visa is NOT extended to allow for the period spent outside Australia.

Australia has reciprocal working holiday maker arrangements with 17 foreign countries:

  • the United Kingdom
  • Canada
  • the Netherlands
  • Japan
  • The Replublic of Ireland
  • The Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Germany
  • Denmark
  • Sweden
  • Norway
  • Hong Kong SAR of the Rep of China
  • Finland
  • The Republic of Cyprus
  • Italy
  • France
  • Belgium
  • Estonia
  • Taiwan

Criteria for visas

All Australian Working Holiday Maker visa applications must be made overseas. Applicants need to be:

  • Aged between 18-30 years
  • Not accompanied by dependent children
  • Show your main reason for coming to Australia is to holiday, and any work you do is just to support yourself whilst in Australia.
  • Have not previously entered Australia on a WHM Visa.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Have funds of AUD$5,000.
  • Upon arrival be able to provide an outward ticket or sufficient funds for one.

Important: Applicants must have turned 18, but not turned 31, at the time of visa application.

Work conditions

Working holiday makers are permitted to do any kind of work of a temporary or casual nature. As the main purpose of the visit is for holiday and travel, work for longer than three months with any one employer is not allowed. Working holiday makers should be paid according to Australian award rates and conditions.

"The WHM visa provides opportunities for resourceful, self reliant and adaptable young people to holiday in Australia and to supplement their funds through incidental employment."






You do not need to pay a migration agent / company to do this, as it is a very simple application.

Make this direct with the Australian department of immigration by starting your application online.


 Frequently Asked Questions:

Do I need a return ticket? No, not if you hold a working holiday visa, but you will have to show sufficient funds for one upon arrival (we advise approx $1,000) this is in addition to your AUD$5,000 funds.
When should I book my flight? The Australian High Commission request that you do not book your flight until your visa has been granted.
Do I Need a Medical Examination? No doctors letter is required but if you are hoping to work in healthcare, childcare, nursing homes or be in a classroom situation for more than 4 weeks you will have to provide a chest x-ray as standard.
How long is the visa valid? The working holiday visa gives you 12 months to travel to Australia from the date it is issued and allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months from the date you enter.
What are the work conditions? The type of work you can do is not restricted but you are only allowed to work for any one employer for up to 6 months at a time. The main purpose of your trip should be to travel, not to work.






Forgotten Password